Custom LED Light Builds - Updated February 6th 2013!

List a Beretta Item for sale
woody90gtz

Re: Custom LED Light Builds

Post by woody90gtz »

Very very nice. I agree it needs to wrap as Geoff suggested, and I would stay with 6 rows since there are 6 louvers in the lenses. 4 may sufficient light-wise, but I'll bet it would look goofy. What's your guestimate price-wise?

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

heavywoody wrote:Those look great! Any way to get a wrap on those so the sides of the lower part light up too?
woody90gtz wrote:Very very nice. I agree it needs to wrap as Geoff suggested, and I would stay with 6 rows since there are 6 louvers in the lenses. 4 may sufficient light-wise, but I'll bet it would look goofy. What's your guestimate price-wise?
Oh, don't worry guys. I plan to light up the entire light! That was just a mock up, to see if the brightness was going to work or not. Oh lord no that isn't even close to what I plan to do yet!

Right now, present guestimate.... 350-400 tops. I haven't touched it much since I mocked that up, but my first order of business is to buy some more red LEDs. Don't have enough to do up even just one of the tail lights!! Been using them all up on everyone's project builds! lol

Not to mention the fact I have to put together the custom circuit, so that you can tailor the light your own way, light up sections certain ways, etc. It will be pretty badass, once I get one of these built. I also have to completely heat and mold the plexi so it can curve with the light. Once I get past fixing the 03 Caravan, I should be able to get cranking on it again. I would like to have a working and installed prototype before I put the Z away before the white crap starts falling... HA.
Shanez26 wrote:Have you ever thought of, or us there a way to use a multi color leds(so you can change the color of the marker lights from controls in the cab)? I know they make the strips but it would be a lot more wiring I'm guessing. I think that would be awesome!
Oh, I have thought of it.

But not for sidemarkers. I would rather use that for something else. I had actually toyed with making a light-up insert of the Z26 logo. Problem has been time and where to place it though. lol I was going to make it so you can have it shift colors, stuff like that. You can't legally have too much of that going on, as it makes the DOT enforcement people a bit fussy. :D

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

gently caress DOT and their stupid laws!

Even a light that functioned as stock with just the LED strips would be good for me. So would it drop the cost some without needing a circuit board?

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Yeah, that will make it a bit easier. Like I said, let me get to where I can actually put it together.

Though, to be honest I still have to put together a circuit to lower voltage for the lower brightness level (running level), all the customization will do is provide separate light sections and a way to configure patterns.... Not sure if it will be a large difference, but will know more once I can get the working prototype built.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

ShaneLT(ShaneZ26)

Post by ShaneLT(ShaneZ26) »

Is possable to make the 3 turn signal led strips blink individually like the mustang's do?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Anything is possible, but I for one don't want to copy a ford light up. LOL

ShaneLT(ShaneZ26)

Post by ShaneLT(ShaneZ26) »

Lol yea. I've been trying to think of something different that I can do to my tails.

DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

There are many ways to do a sequential set up way cooler then the Fords.

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
'93 Quasar GT 5-Speed (Under Construction)
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Im interested in the front side markers...but can u get a better pic than that profile one u posted?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

You want a pair with the stock amber lenses right?

Let me find you a pic...

That is all the pics I have of it. LOL

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Oh, I have an update on the tail light mods. I have come across a newer light strip design, has a heavier wattage (brighter light) and may work better for a single row, rather than doubling. One strip of them (30LEDs) use nearly half an amp, verses the style I have been using that draws around .150 amps. Though doubling these will definitely be better for daylight time. Price wise they aren't much higher either.

Will have to order a roll, see how it looks. I usually try to buy these in rolls of 300 LEDs at a time. HA. 150 bucks a pop too. This crap isn't cheap, but I have made a fair amount of these... Think I'm up to 5 or 6 Z04 brake lights, and a couple sets of markers. Can't wait to get the tail mod built. Soon! Working on the van next week first though. Not to mention a few other projects... LOL

DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

Need a "like" button, lol.

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
'93 Quasar GT 5-Speed (Under Construction)
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

So you're thinking one row top, one row bottom? Even if the light output is better, that first pic looks tits where the rows match the stock lens.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, with the spacing in the light, it will be like this:

1st row gets one strip of lights due to it being narrower than the others.

All the rest (5) will get 2 each. But for cost wise, using these brighter ones, I could probably get by with one strip for each of the 6 rows if people are trying to keep the cost down. Same goes with the backup light section. You have to think this way:

The higher wattage ones only come in rolls of 300 lights. And they are roughly 3 lights per 2 inches of strip (approx 200 inches per roll).

Each tail light will use (2, 3, 4, & 3x5) = 24 segments (24x2") This means that each light will consume 48" of red LEDs based on one strip per horizontal. Doing them the way I recommend.... 46 segments x 2" = 92" of lighting. Nearly HALF a roll of the red, just for one tail light. Bottom line:

Cost of just the LEDs would be around 70 bucks a light. Then I have to factor labor, circuit for lower/full voltage regulation, direct bulb socket plug ins, resistor kit to make blinker/ABS work correctly, etc. Each tail light would draw around 2-3 amps with the LED circuit, so load resistors will be required for most installs.

now, if I do it the absolute single strip to a stripe for cost reasons.....

It would run around 35 bucks for JUST the LEDs per tail light, plus the other stuff as above.

Keep in mind, this is JUST for the RED portion of the light. The white would be a similar setup, takes less LEDs, (11 segments - 22") no custom circuit or resistor needed, but also has to be factored in if you want the complete conversion. I suppose if you just had it done for just the red portion, that will also keep the price down. *shrug

Keep in mind, I'm quoting what I would be paying for them, I don't make any money on the LEDs themselves. There is shipping in there too, they usually charge like 5 bucks or something per order.

To do the recommended LED setup, going to run approx 190 bucks just to get ALL the LEDs for the tails (both red and white)

If I stick to 1 strip per stripe for both colors, it will be around 100 bucks I think. So that is something to consider.... Other items will probably be around 50... Plexi, Wire, Bulb sockets, some circuit parts, etc. I was tentatively thinking of charging around 75 bucks to build them for my time, maybe a bit more. And I don't think that is unreasonable, but won't know for sure till I can get a set built. First ones are always the hardest.. And of course 10-15 to ship them. lol

The really wonderful part about these, is they can be simply mounted inside the existing light without actually making any permanent changes to it.. You will use some silicone to hold them in place (won't take much) and that's mostly to keep them from vibrating inside the housing. (for those with subs, etc) Also I don't need them shipped to me or anything. Tricky part I suppose will be getting the light opened to install them, as the sealant can be a bit of a pain. They can easily be transferred to other tail housings, or other berettas, etc too. Not like a typical bulb install.

Hope this book helps. HA.

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

On reflection here, it looks like I will be able to offer the following choices:

Option 1. Basic setup.

This customizes only the red section, with 1 strip of lights per horizontal stripe in the light. This will be the lowest cost upgrade.

Option 2. Basic full setup.

Same as one, but also includes the reverse lights, so has a bit higher cost.

Option 3. Optimum setup.

This will have double the lighting on all horizontals (reverse too) except the top one, due to its narrower size.

Option 4. Complete setup. This will include best of lighting level and customizing circuit.

Keep in mind, I can do a customizing circuit for any level of the light options. I will have a separate price for this as well.

For those that may not remember, here were the original concept ideas for lighting patterns:

Stock look

With running lights:

Horizontal with brakes/turns on the bottom half:

With running lights:

Split:

And Vertical:

Not to mention that you can setup your own patterns. KEEP in mind, you only have 2 circuits. One for running lights. One for everything else. So whatever you see blinking in these patterns are also the same sections that light up for brakes.

On the other hand, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I think, you can use a Euro lighting version, (3 circuits instead of 2) so you can have the brake and turns separate. I can also make these lights into a version for those of you with the Euro lighting colored lenses (yellow/amber) But you HAVE to create the separate brake circuit if you have a non-euro beretta.