ERG Vavle

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

My check engine light came on, so i took it to Auto Zone to get the read out. It was the ERG vavle which i replaced about 5 months ago, what i didnt know was that i had to clean out the intake.

My question is this... Can i reuse the ERG vavle that i just bought and how do i go about cleaning out that tiny hole?

James

96' 3100

P.S. I was at Berettafest in Rocky River, Ohio about 5 to 6 years ago.

IsaacHayes

ERG Vavle

Post by IsaacHayes »

Yes you can re-use your EGR. I re-used my original one and cleaned it and it works like new again.

Use  carb cleaner and a stiff wire, even electircal wire will work. Work your way down the hole. Might want to take off the throttle body so you can clean out the sludge that comes out easier, and shove the wire up from that side too. Remember to get a new Throttle body gasket as they can't be re-used. See this thread here too:

http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... isaachayes

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
backwoodzberetta

ERG Vavle

Post by backwoodzberetta »

An even better way is to melt the end of an old throttle or brake cable and stick that end in the hole.  Put the other end in a drill and run it.  Saves lots of time.

-Nick

This car has 223,000 miles on it and gets 37 mpg highway.

RIP  In it's last stages of life.

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

yeah it's a perfect time to clean the throttle body..Actually ,not be contrary or anything,you can oftentimes re-use the throttle body gasket,even though the book says you can't.--I have re-used mine twice on the beretta and several times on the lumina--although it's a good idea to have a new one handy in case you do need it.And if you have any doubts about it ,put the new one on.
 I discovered you could re-use it a number of years ago when I had my mechanic go ahead and clean things after he had done some other work for me.I asked him why he didn't have a gasket ready and he told me he wouldn't need it---and sure enough-he didn't need lol.

IsaacHayes

ERG Vavle

Post by IsaacHayes »

Hmm its a paper gasket that smashes down and kind of cooks. Usualy is brittle and can break off. I wouldn't risk it and have a vacum leak and have to take it apart again.

It's cheap like 1 buck at autoparts store.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

yeah you know what?I been thinking since i read that ,...and i got a feeling that i have probably just been very lucky with that tb gasket.So far it hasn't caused me a problem on either car-but i think i will change it the next time -because now that i have it on my mind -my luck will just likely run out,if i try to cheap out again.Heck I could change it anytime because I have one for each car laying in my store room now,been collecting dust for a couple years  

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

since you've gotten on the subject of gaskets on the throttle body I have a question. What is the name of the gasket that goes under the piece where your vaccum(sp) lines go in I took mine off and polished that piece to shine like my valve cover, I used the old one again but I think I have a leak I have went into all my parts catalogues at work and can't find anything. if s/one might know or have a G.M. # that I can try to cross. thanks

1988GTU

ERG Vavle

Post by 1988GTU »

Talking about the TPS gasket?  With all those torx's and the TPS sensor?

_________
-------------

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

Yea thats the one. I can't find a listing ANYWHERE.

1988GTU

ERG Vavle

Post by 1988GTU »

I would assume it would be called the throttle vacuum gasket.
Maybe take that part to the stealer and tell them that you'd like to price "this" gasket.  Then when they pull the part up, write down the name of it and report back here.

_________
-------------

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

I got a service manual from ebay I bid on yesterday. It's called a idle air/vacuum assembly gasket. my gasket catalogue shows no listing.  guess it's time to see my friendly neighborhood G.M dealer.

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

Not sure if this is what you mean, but on my 93 3.1MPFI I think its the gasket for the idle air control, which sits on top of the throttle body and has like 6-7 torx screws in it. That's the IAC, right? I thought the TPS (at least for my 93') was on the left side of the TB, while the IAC is on top of it?

Anyway, its included in AC Delco part #:40740. This is a TB gasket kit with the TB gasket, the IAC cover gasket, and 2 differently sized o-rings that go to I don't know what.

Does anybody know what these 2 o-rings go to? I'd post a pic but no digital camera. Here's a link to the picture of the part:

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/ACDelco/Det ... 40-740.jpg

ERG Vavle

Post by Guest »

OK, the little o-ring is for the IAC pintle (around and behind the tip of it), the big o-ring is for the TB coolant to TB connection, which i removed recently anyway.