better rear view mirror?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
themadness

better rear view mirror?

Post by themadness »

my damn mirror keeps falling off :sparta: i've super glue, krazy glue, gorilla epoxy, kits from autozone.....nothing works. clean and prep, let it sit over night and it still falls off!

are there any other mirrors that will stay in place maybe with that heavy duty adhesive pad or suction cup. the father in law's gps has a screw down suction cup that doesnt move. i'd love to find something like that. this mirror is a pain in the ass!

Money pit Beretta

Re: better rear view mirror?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I have used the Permatex extreme rearview mirror professional strength adhesive(damn what a name) on two cars and it works great.

You must make sure the windshield is clean and you have to hold the mirror in place(without moving it) for ten minutes. After that it will never fall off again. The package says that you can let go after 1 minute, but that doesn't work. You will have to switch hands every now and then, but it can be done(good music helps the time go by). Also I like to rough the mount up a little by scratching it with a screwdriver(then clean it off with the cleaning pad that comes with the kit).
If you have a replacement windshield they have a oily coating on them that needs to be taken off with a foaming glass cleaner.

keep'em flying!
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

I don't know about down there in the Excited Statesbut up here in the Great White North most auto glass places will reattach your mirror for free and guarantee it for life.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

I had that problem, bought permatex extreme professional strength or whatever it is called, held in place for awhile and haven't had any problems since I did it a month or two ago. Try to avoid adjusting it in the cold, mine feels brittle when I adjust it in the cold.

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Money pit Beretta wrote:I have used the Permatex extreme rearview mirror professional strength adhesive(damn what a name) on two cars and it works great.

You must make sure the windshield is clean and you have to hold the mirror in place(without moving it) for ten minutes. After that it will never fall off again. The package says that you can let go after 1 minute, but that doesn't work. You will have to switch hands every now and then, but it can be done(good music helps the time go by). Also I like to rough the mount up a little by scratching it with a screwdriver(then clean it off with the cleaning pad that comes with the kit).
If you have a replacement windshield they have a oily coating on them that needs to be taken off with a foaming glass cleaner.
LOL, you should read those directions again Money pit. You only glue on the metal tab that the mirror rests on, not the whole assembly! That's why you had issues with it. :Yahoo!:

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
themadness

Post by themadness »

i picked up some of the heavy duty 3m exterior trim double side adhesive. i had a cell phone holder mount that i literally had to pry off and cut away with a razor blade that used the same stuff. if that doesnt hold the metal bracket for the mirror on then i'm bolting it the roof somehow. as bernie mac would say......"i'm sick of dis crap! what type of crap it is!?"

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

You guys just don't listen!!
An auto glass place will likely do it for free!!
And they have the right stuff! Hell they do it every friggen day!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Asylum wrote:You guys just don't listen!!
An auto glass place will likely do it for free!!
And they have the right stuff! Hell they do it every friggen day!

I read your post. Nothing free has a guarantee and nothing with a guarantee is free. If for some reason they did do it free, what makes it any better than the OEM glue that let go to begin with? The good permatex stuff from the auto part store works just fine. :good:

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Well OK. Up to you.
I'd rather have it done for free and done right than spend how much for permatex?
But then I'm just a cheap old guy, LOL
Cheers

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

Money pit Beretta

scd88ga wrote:
Money pit Beretta wrote:I have used the Permatex extreme rearview mirror professional strength adhesive(damn what a name) on two cars and it works great.

LOL, you should read those directions again Money pit. You only glue on the metal tab that the mirror rests on, not the whole assembly! That's why you had issues with it. :Yahoo!:
Yeah it's just much more easy to hold and there is no chance of getting any glue on your fingers. Oh and you can be sure that it's in the right place. Funny thing is I left out that I hold the mirror at the mount. Also it kills any chance that you could put the mount on wrong. I knew a guy that did that and broke the windshield trying to get the mount back off.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Asylum wrote:I don't know about down there in the Excited Statesbut up here in the Great White North most auto glass places will reattach your mirror for free and guarantee it for life.
This is the screw you for a buck United States, that kind of thing(doing something nice for a customer/possible customer) doesn't happen anymore.

keep'em flying!
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Asylum wrote: I'd rather have it done for free and done right than spend how much for permatex?
$3.49

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Money pit Beretta wrote: Yeah it's just much more easy to hold and there is no chance of getting any glue on your fingers. Oh and you can be sure that it's in the right place. Funny thing is I left out that I hold the mirror at the mount. Also it kills any chance that you could put the mount on wrong. I knew a guy that did that and broke the windshield trying to get the mount back off.
It's easy to check that you're putting the metal tab on right, just check it on the mirror first. outline where the tab goes with marker and glue it on. Press firmly for a minute, let it harden a while, done! It doesn't matter if you get the glue on your fingers, it won't dry, it's not like it's super glue. It's technically not even an adhesive until it's introduced to the adhesive promoter and it makes a chemical reaction to dry. Sitting there and holding the mirror assembly for 10 minutes is just silly as much as you'd like to justify it as a good way to do it. ;)

Money pit Beretta

Damn left out marking the windshield. Yeah getting the "glue" on your fingers was kind of a joke. It's my time and it makes me feel sure that there will be no problems later. It does make you feel like a fool sitting there, but no more than when you are watching your mirror go flying past when you hit the gas.
Eliminating the chance for a bone head mistake with the mount is always a good thing. Also you can kill off the "oh crap did I put that on right?".

keep'em flying!
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Alrighty then. If you like to do it that way then all the power to ya. Whatever works, right?