Stock intake = CAI?

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
Richio

Stock intake = CAI?

Post by Richio »

My '95 base has a tube which connects it to the wall just behind the headlights. This seems to be stock. Other than the piddly filter (I plan on upgrading to K&N), how is this different from a cold air intake?

Money pit Beretta

Re: Stock intake = CAI?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

A CAI ends up in the same place. The upgrade is a bit more length, a tube that has the same inside diameter from end to end and a filter on the end. The stock system does work,but the engine must try to draw air in the extension after the filter. That is kind of tough to do. Also the air box holds alot of air, air that could be already on it's way to the engine with a CAI or WAI. There is one last thing: the stock "accordian" tube slows the air flow down.
A drop in K&N for the stock system is around a 3hp gain. The CAI(with a K&N) is a 7hp gain.

keep'em flying!
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sounds meaner with a CAI too. haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Money pit Beretta

Nothing like a good cold start and that huge sucking sound that it makes.
I've even had people ask what I had in the Beretta. Freaks them out when I tell them it's a bone stock 3100.

keep'em flying!
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

Money pit Beretta wrote:A CAI ends up in the same place. The upgrade is a bit more length, a tube that has the same inside diameter from end to end and a filter on the end. The stock system does work,but the engine must try to draw air in the extension after the filter. That is kind of tough to do. Also the air box holds alot of air, air that could be already on it's way to the engine with a CAI or WAI. There is one last thing: the stock "accordian" tube slows the air flow down.
A drop in K&N for the stock system is around a 3hp gain. The CAI(with a K&N) is a 7hp gain.

What he said. :wink:

Although I would like to clarify that the 7HP gain from the CAI was proven only in one car with one engine. Your gains will vary based on altitude, engine type, other supporting mods, etc. The biggest issue stock air boxes have are flow restriction and turbulence.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
Koots

Post by Koots »

Before I finally get this friggin' Corsica back on the road, I plan on cutting out the ribbing in the airbox and making a larger opening to the secondary airbox for additional flow (even a modded 2.2 doesn't need a giant intake). If you ever see a Chevy/GMC truck with the pass.side headlight pulled out, it's to open up directly into the fender opening of the factory intake. It apparently helps at high speeds when going for all out racing times.

Money pit Beretta

I think you would like a CAI or WAI more Koots. Velocity is your friend.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Either of those can come later, but a modified stock intake should be a good baseline for future modifications.

Richio

Post by Richio »

Thanks for all the replies and the great information. I’d like to upgrade at some point, but right now I have a list of things to get it more road worthy and get the AC working, before summer here in AZ. By that time, even a cold-air-intake would be a hot-air-intake.

BTW: I have a 3.1 v6 and the pre-filter intake is a plastic tube – not an accordion.

Money pit Beretta

I hate stock stuff and on a 2.2 I'd really hate it. I even have a WAI on the Eco. I hope soon to make a hybrid WAI/CAI for it. I understand though!

keep'em flying!