Coolant System Problem

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Z26Beretta315

Coolant System Problem

Post by Z26Beretta315 »

Riddle me this...

My 95 Beretta Z26 is dumping its coolant out from a rather strange area.  Vehicle doesn't need to be running for this to happen, came out of the super market one day and saw some people loading their car parked next to mine, looking over and pointing.  Walked over and low and behold the contents of my radiator was making a get away across the parking lot.  Drove the two miles home, stopped twice to put fluid in.

The location of the leak is roughly between the motor and firewall, passenger side.  I've yet to really explore the entire area but a quick check revealed the fluid is coming out of a rubber elbow hose, maybe a half an inch in diameter.  The hose itself doesn't looking broken, looks like a spout or drain, end of the hose is round.

Anyone encounter this?  The tube looked like its attached to the firewall, so my first guess would be the heater core is blown.  There is no fluid/wetness inside.  I would guess that this problem has been creeping about for awhile, back in September 06 I had to replace the radiator, so of course had put all new coolant in and kept an eye on it for a week to make sure it stayed around the level I filled it at.  Everything checked out okay.  Then about May the car started to run hot and discovered the fluid was low.  So I knew something was up.

If needed I'll put the car back up on ramps and take a picture of this mystery spout.  
Last to save on posting another short topic to answer a question, I replaced my rear brakes and cylinders in the spring, ever since that the rear brakes grab really hard when the car first starts off, like torque the rear of the car down grabbing.  Brakes are fine, car might need another system bleed but I had also switched the drums.  Had bought new ones but Napa gave me the wrong size and I didn't really need new ones.  Its the only thing I can think of that is causing this problem, because once you've brakes a few times and gotten the drums warmed up, it no longer brakes hard.

|| 1995 Z26 || V6 3100 bored over .030 || 4 Speed Auto || 103,785 miles w/ 785 on Engine ||
Cliff8928
Administrator

Coolant System Problem

Post by Cliff8928 »

Yep, that's most definitely the heater core.  The plastic pipe usually cracks at a connection on the inside of the car and all the coolant drains out that tube.  That tube is also where the moisture for the A/C is drained.

Cliff Scott
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Coolant System Problem

Post by heavywoody »

Yep, your heater core took a crap... cheap parts wise, but a PITA to replace. The aluminum heater cores are usually around $30 or so... do NOT get another plastic one.

As far as the brakes, maybe you just need to adjust them a bit?

Not too sure... I hate drum brakes and don't plan on having them much longer on my car.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Z26Beretta315

Coolant System Problem

Post by Z26Beretta315 »

Yeah that's what I figured before even looking at it.  Asking around I got ye old 'was my floor wet' but I figured with all the advances in technology, they could design a heater core chamber that doesn't fill your car, but I could be wrong.  Thanks for the confirmations though.

Now here's a question, as what I know of engines is self taught.  Can you bypass the heater core, assuming that its just an intake/outtake hose going into the firewall?  Bridge the two together and just eliminate it, as it'll keep me from driving it during the winter and cold seasons since up here in NY they salt the roads like they were MacDonalds fries.  Drove it last winter but had no other choice, I'd like to keep the car in mint condition, could be a classic.

|| 1995 Z26 || V6 3100 bored over .030 || 4 Speed Auto || 103,785 miles w/ 785 on Engine ||
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Coolant System Problem

Post by heavywoody »

Yeah, you can just connect the hoses together and bypass it... I would still take the condensation drip tray out though, because you need to clean the coolant off it using bleach or another strong cleaner... otherwise when you use your A/C in the summer, you're going to have that wonderful coolant smell blow through your vents.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
docrodg

Coolant System Problem

Post by docrodg »

The rear brakes issue could be caused by an egg-shaped drum or by the shoes hanging up on the backing plate.  The shoes require some lubriplate to work right.  I would put money on the drum, an out of round drum will do this and then stop when hot many a time.  If you have to wait a little before replacing it just move the adjusters in a little and reset the brake tension again as it may be a little tight too.