Motor mount replacement

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
ecs

Motor mount replacement

Post by ecs »

I know that i've searched on this message board, on bstuff.com and on v6z24.com and came up with nothing so I decided to make a little writeup here just in case anyone else has trouble finding a thread about the motor mount replacement.

I have a 93 beretta that had engine flop like a fish out of water... I decided to go ahead and buy a mount from advance auto, autozone didn't carry any of them in stock. Advance only had the hydraulic mount but it was for a lifetime warranty. If I wanted to return it the guy said I could, and get a solid (rubber) mount.

Anyways, got back home, and took off the 2 upper bolts, I used a 13mm socket. Then, I unbolted the two bolts holding the bracket to the engine, I used a 15mm socket on the 2 bolts here. Then I took off the nut connected to the square head bolt using a 15mm socket. However once I looked down at the bracket, I saw some nuts that were quite big (don't laugh). It took me a while to figure it out, but those nuts are welded to the bracket, so.... look in the wheelwell! There are bolts going through the wheelwell that go through these nuts. Clever isn't it? I used a 13mm socket to take these 2 bolts out and voila... out comes the motor mount assembly.
NOTE: (you may need to take off the splash guard to get to the wheelwell bolts, the previous owner removed mine and never put it back on so I didn't need to worry about that...)

Now, I tried jacking up the engine by the oil pan but I guess I didn't jack it high enough.... if you did the same, pay attention later on, you're going to need a strong friend.

After the mount was out I tried banging it out... I must've tried this for a good hour but nothing held... so I decided to use a percentage of my brain and look at the paper that came with the new mount. It said to use a 9/16" drill bit to drill out the flared holes on the bottom of the mount assembly. Great.... it's 11:30pm at night and I need to wait till the morning to use the other car to get a stupid drill bit. So morning comes and I get the drill bit, this drill bit is quite large, so don't expect any hardware store to have it. I went to home depot and luckily they had it... for 15 ******* dollars. Anyway, came back home, drilled out one of them, it came loose on that side, then drilled out the other side... but wait, the other side isn't loose. Oh well. I beat on the bottom of it with an extension and a hammer and voila, comes right out. Now i'm happy. So I get the new mount in there and start to screw in the screws that came with the new mount... they really don't even "seat" the mount in place within the assembly but whatever. Then I throw it back in the car but......

Remember the engine that moved after you took the mount out? Yeahh.... you're going to need to haul it back in place before you can say "im finished". What I did was thread the 2 bolts for the bracket to engine into place. Then I needed to heave the engine forwards to connect the square head bolt to the nut. After I did that, then I had to make sure that everything was aligned for the 2 bolts that thread through the wheelwell. You might need another person for this. I did this by myself (i'm 220 lbs). After you're all done torque everything up and take her for a drive.

I noticed after I did this that shifting from P to R was flawless, I barely felt any thud like I usually did and brake pedal vibration was GONE. I though I was going to need new rotors... wonder how that fixed it. That was just for a quick zip around the block. I'm sure that I will find that it fixed more things than those 2 but for now, i'm happy.

Any other questions feel free to PM me or post them here. I check this message board every once in a while so your questions will be seen and probably answered.