Setting IAC valve

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
BerettaGT89

Setting IAC valve

Post by BerettaGT89 »

I have being having issues with my car lately and since taken it to two mechanics who have charged over $200 each to tell me that my car won't stop stalling out. In the most part I can get it running, but coming to a stop it will die completely unless I keep my foot on the gas and the other on the brake. I have heard of relearn procedure since it seems that this is the only thing left to repair/fix and something I might be able to do. I understand you take the battery off (unplug) for 45 minutes, connect the battery, start the car (make sure the A/C isn't on) and let the car IDLE by itself, clearly this must be in the park position and do this until the fan kicks on by itself and turn the car off. If it doesn't work and my car won't idle I know I will need a new IAC valve. I was wondering if there are videos on both of these? A video showing me exactly how to do it, which I know I can do the first part so let me rephrase a video that will show me how to replace the valve should I need to.

Thank you

BerettaGT89

BerettaGT89

Re: Setting IAC valve

Post by BerettaGT89 »

Here is what the first mechanic did:

Here is what the first mechanic did
Check TPS sensor
MAP sensor
ICV Valve
Fuel Pressure
Intake Cleaning
Fuel Injector Service
Smoke Check system

BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

The second mechanic did this:

replaced my TCC Solenoid
Side PMI Gasket
Pan Gasket
Filter
and ATF (Automatic Transmission Flush)

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Forget the idle relearn nonsense. The car will do that by itself if you drive it for a couple miles.

Try unplugging the TCC.

I KNOW they replaced it. Unplug it anyway.

Bet it works!

Too bad you flushed a 1989 trans. It will likely fail in the next 10,000 miles.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
SuperLbody

Post by SuperLbody »

What Asylum said. Tough break you spent that much on it which could be going to a new trans. Best of luck!

BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

I will try unplugging the TCC again tonight. If that doesn't work then I give up and I am just going to sell her. I can't keep dealing with idiot mechanics taking advantage of me and I unfortunately can't work on it myself. Thanks for your help guys.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Just reading past threads.

You had this thing fixed!

Why the hell would you even care about the damn TCC in a 1989 car that is running fine?

And all that other stuff is just a waste of money including a trans flush on a 25+ year old car that will likely kill the transmission.

And now you are right back where you started.

WOW!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

You could try locating the ecm. Disconnect your battery. Unplug the ecm. Spray the connectors with WD-40
and plug and unplug the connector several times. Then reconnect everything and see if it is any better.
My daughters 90 had an intermittent high idle that was caused by bad contacts. No reason it couldn't go the other
way with not idling high enough.
The ecm is located on the passenger side, either behind the kick panel the or maybe behind the glove box, I forgot.

BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

Actually even after I originally unplugged the TCC it didn't work it kept dying on me. Oh well live and learn. The car is in my garage and will sit there till I can get someone to fix it properly. I've never worked on cars, ever and had so many different people telling me to do this or that or it was this and that and I got overwhelmed. I freaked out. Have had a lot of bad luck lately. Father having a heart attack, sister losing baby, my wife had a miscarriage, custody battle and I just stressed myself out. Sorry.

BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

Thank you Ifixalot at this point I am so over this car LOL. I need a break from it. I will just take it to a Chevy dealership to get it up and running. Last night when I went home it wouldn't even start I had to push it and just throw it in my garage. Yeah I wasted a lot of money and I am an idiot as Asylum has stated but I don't know anything about cars as others do. I could do piping on a house like nobodies business but when it comes to cars its like a 1 year old trying to play Call of Duty.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This sounds like it has nothing to do with the TCC... especially if it wont even start. I think he's confusing stalling in gear with simply stalling anytime even if the TCC didn't engage.

Don't take Asylum to seriously... he can get a bit abrasive at times. ;)

Things to check if it wont even start is to see if it has fuel pressure, and see if it has spark... If either of these are not there or the pressure is lower than 40PSI after key on engine off condition, then it's pointing to a fuel pump problem. Another thing to have checked is the injectors as noted. They are batch fire so the thee across the front are wired in parallel and the three across the rear are in parallel and they fire back and forth between the two groups. What can be done to test them is check the injector harness plug and do and OHM test for each bank. Each injector should be around 11-14 ohms each so 3 in parallel is equal to 3.67-4.67 ohms.. if its over or below that then you have something fishy going on with injectors themselves.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

Yeah I had a feeling after the TCC was replaced it wasn't that. I should have just taken it to a certified Chevy dealership from the beginning and had them just fix it. I am over the money at this point since I am the one who told them to replace it but going forward I will make sure I take it to a place that can do the work and do it right. It will be some time till I can get it fixed :( but at least I have an idea of what the problem is now. The plan is to have it towed to Martin Chevrolet by my house and have them do the work on it since they are certified Chevy dealers. I just want my baby back, makes me sad seeing her sitting in a garage when she has so much life left in her. I appreciate the insight and comments 3X00 and I won't let Asylum get to me, he has nothing on my wife lol. Hope you have a great weekend!

CorvetteBeretta

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

Welcome to the wild world of Berettas I'm at my wits end with mine so I know what your going threw. :beer:

BerettaGT89

Post by BerettaGT89 »

CorvetteBeretta seriously I just want to go and punch these guys in their faces and slam my head into the wall for being a dumbass and not having them diagnose the problem instead of telling them what I think it is as previously mentioned. I bet the $460 could have easily fixed the problem, now I am in debt and owe my dad money LOL but on the bright side its Friday and I am going to Jason Aldean and Kenny Chesney tomorrow night at the Rose Bowl to get drunk and drown my worries.

CorvetteBeretta

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

This is why I don't trust mechanics not all but most also why I'm an alcoholic........ The beretta made me do it lol