Engine mounts don't wanna do their job

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
JacksonKlatt

Engine mounts don't wanna do their job

Post by JacksonKlatt »

So, my 96 Z is about ready to hit the road. One issue, I have a new trans mount and upper mount, and I replaced the torque arm just last week. Unfortunately, the engine still jumps when going into reverse and when getting in an out of the throttle at cruising speed. Any ideas on what the hell is going on?

Rettax3

Re: Engine mounts don't wanna do their job

Post by Rettax3 »

The later-model V-6 cars did have a lot more engine movement than the earlier cars, due to the different mounts used, but excessive 'jump' from this point would be loose hardware, defective mounts (new doesn't mean good), or something else binding. My old '92 Grand Am used those type mounts on a Quad OHC engine, and the transaxle pan would get caught on a cross-member that bolted between the sub-frame rails (same sub-frame rails used on the Berettas, but I've never seen one of the cross-member bars on one of our "L"-Body cars). It would trap the engine/transaxle in one spot until enough torque applied to 'pop' it loose, then the whole thing would 'clunk' and jump back...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Re: Engine mounts don't wanna do their job

Post by woody90gtz »

My best guess would be defective mounts as well. Or possibly something that didn't tighten down quite right. I put an extra torque strut on mine to the trans, but that isn't an option with the auto.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube