Koni installation

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
spacecadetz26

Koni installation

Post by spacecadetz26 »

Only attempt if you have the knowledge and tools to do so. This can very well be a difficult job for a novice.

WELL I finally got some free time to install the Koni's that have been sitting around a couple months. I used a set of OEM Delco struts from a 1996 Base (Daves base)

Here are the pics

stock strut

measure 40mm

cut the old cartridge out

remove cartridge from housing and drain oil

grind sharp edges

drill big hole on the bottom to accept the bolt

You will need to make a bushing to fill in the gap, exhaust tubing works well

Install Koni yellow adjustable strut cartridge

The strut housing will be sandblasted and powdercoated. Thats why I didnt post finished pics. Otherwise I would grind the rust and repaint.

Reinstall spring, then alignment and enjoy.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
Baims_91Base

Koni installation

Post by Baims_91Base »

Nice! Let us know when you get those done and installed.

Dustin - Webmaster, BerettaSpeed.com
1991 "Base" -> BFest '03, '04, '11 - '12 Best Modified Engine Bay
1994 Base -> 65k, DGGM, INDY GFX
1988 GTU -> 300k - RIP, parts/donor car, BFest '05
spacecadetz26

Koni installation

Post by spacecadetz26 »

oh yeah. I just cut open the struts from my GTZ.... When the struts are still good they will spray oil so be prepared to cover it when you cut through. The struts dave gave me had 100k miles on them so they were toast and didnt spray.

Steph
Ribz80

Koni installation

Post by Ribz80 »

When Koni does a factory rebuild, they just want the insert.  After 7 years of salt, that large bolt at the end isnt going anywhere.  I have let it soak with some WD40 and will try hitting the seems again with a screw driver  .  I just dont think I have anything on hand beefy enough to break it loose.

The lifetime warrenty is nice, though most people would have gotten more than 7 years.  I was lucky to get 7 as my shop called my Intrax "strut killers" combined with Detroit roads.

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006

Koni installation

Post by Guest »

Are Koni's this good that they are worth 157 each for the fronts and 97 each for the rear?? I found a place offering both part numbers listed in the faq section and I was wondering if they are really worth this much.  505 for all corners seems a little high for me.

Ribz80

Koni installation

Post by Ribz80 »

I think they are.  A couple people who have Bilstein cars that cost more than the Konis said they liked the ride VERY much in comparison.  

I remember my car felt almost identical to Geoff's Bilstein car.  I think he said his felt a little too stiff in comparison.

91' GT  SOLD
spacecadetz26

Koni installation

Post by spacecadetz26 »

$500 for a set of performance adjustable struts, with a lifetime warranty? you can replace your kybs every 4 years and still spend $500. There is no comparision between KYB and Koni or Bilstein. I guess I can see your point if you Beretta is worth $1000 and you put a set of $500 shocks on it. But they are worth every penny.

You can't find konis for the rear on a 95-96 either.

Steph

Koni installation

Post by Guest »

Yeah I figured those rears wouldn't work... but I was just curious on the fronts, because I do need new front struts, and I had KYB, they did me well and I'm not sure if I want to spend 300+ or 120. ÂÂÂ I did get a while from the KYB's but you can only expect a car to last so long.  I'm not saying I'm giving up on keeping my car in good condition I just dont want to dump that much money into it and then have something happen to it, thats out of my control,ÂÂÂ I don't know yet, we'll see. ÂÂÂ I have a bunch of stuff on the list to get done  (money pit list)... new tires, new struts, undercoating, new rear brakes, need a new left front fender because someone backed into my car... need a new hood, and I would love to have it painted. ÂÂÂ So yeah gotta figure out whats more important. ÂÂÂ Right now I'm trying to concentrate on removing all surface rust on the underside and then undercoating it, then maybe I'll hook it up with some Koni's gotta stop that damn cancer before its out of control.

Ribz80

Koni installation

Post by Ribz80 »

I have had KYBs in for a few thousand miles in place of my Konis sitting in the garage.   I lost SO MUCH road feel and feedback.  Its like going from a Cadillac to a Z06 in terms of information transmitted.  There are plenty of other places to save money.  The Konis were one of my best modifications over the last 10 years

91' GT  SOLD

Koni installation

Post by Guest »

I'll say that I must agree also.. they are like Bilstens but adjustable to be softer or stiffer to your taste.  I think I may send mine in for a rebuild sometime did Koni ask for you car's current registration papers with the parts?

Ribz80

Koni installation

Post by Ribz80 »

No, just a copy of the original receipt.  Like I said, I warn you that fastener at the top is the devil to get out.

91' GT  SOLD
Matt88GTU

Koni installation

Post by Matt88GTU »

Steph (and all) -

Where can I get koni (yellow) shocks for the rear of my GTZ?  I realize that I can use the Gen 3 cav struts for the front - as many have done.  I have tried three of the major locations that google has provided for me that could carry the original Koni's for the berettas - and I've gone as far as completing the orders, only to be told they no longer have them.

I read somewhere on v6z24.com that I could utilize Koni's for a Saab.  Here is a clip of what was said:  

"There is a set of yellows that will fit the rear, but it does require some work and it won't be valved correctly unless you use a stiffer rate spring. 94-98 Saab 900 shocks are the same length, stroke, and have the same mounting style. The biggest difference is that the stud is 12mm instead of 10mm, so you need to ream out the shock mount."

Is true?  I'm just looking to have a fully adjustable suspension - Does anyone know any reliable source for the Koni's in the rear?  Thanks in advance.

-Matt
'92 GTZ
'88 GTU

spacecadetz26

Koni installation

Post by spacecadetz26 »

I find it amazing to how long this topic has been up and never pinned... Oh well.

I don't know where to get the Koni's. I believe we bought the last set from Tire Rack earlier this year. I've heard Cliff Scott has unlimited access to the original Koni shocks, whether or not that statement is true is another thing.

Steph
bonecrrusher

Koni installation

Post by bonecrrusher »

"As mentioned before, the Saab shocks have a bigger stud (12mm vs 10mm), so I picked up some 1/2" bushings, torched out the factory mount, and put them in"

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/viewtop ... 1&start=30

There ya go, info, pics and custom Gheybody rear axle setup.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
1988GTU

Koni installation

Post by 1988GTU »

So with this you don't need to cut an piece of an exhaust pipe to fit the gap...?  

I'd rather much drill a bigger hole.

_________
-------------