Parking Brake Cables

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
uncle

Parking Brake Cables

Post by uncle »

Can I get an expert to steer me to the correct two rear parking brake cables for my GTZ because it appears that there are four different part numbers? I ordered the the two listed from Rock Auto and either both are wrong or just one of them is wrong. I am leaning towards the RR (#1 on the illustration) being incorrect because the cable I have doesn't include the piece that snaps into the equalizer.

These are the Rock Auto #'s

thanks
Last edited by uncle on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Parking Brake Cables

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There is no piece on the RR that snaps into the equalizer, the main cable threads through the equalizer and then connects to the RR cable, part #23 pictured up there is simply a cable connector that holds the barrel from the RR cable and the barrel from the main cable coming back.

You can see the cable setup on this axle

Another showing the main cable threaded through the equalizer. For some reason on my 95 and 96 is backwards from what you pictured above.

You can see here how the main cable butt connects to the LR on mine, which would be the same configuration for you, but it would be your RR that looks like this, and the LR would thread into the equalizer.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
uncle

Post by uncle »

As you can see here, the two cables I got from RA are obviously too short then

Anyone have correct part numbers?

thanks

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

No, both of those pictured are look to be 100% right, where is your main cable in that photo, and the equilzer?

The last photo I posted RIGHT above the sway bar bushing is the coupler that connects the short left to the main cable running up to the handle, that cable is snet through the equalizer and then the other side of the equalizer is threaded with the nut to the RR Cable.

1st Design numbers are
LR Cable - ACDELCO Part # 18P777
RR Cable - ACDELCO Part # 18P776
Equalizer - DORMAN Part # 21121
Main/Front Cable - ACDELCO Part # 18P1657

For some reason RA has the LR and RR mixed up for ACDelco's numbers for the second design... at least thats what I make of it...

From looking at yours, the threaded version is on the RR, which is the same as me, yet RA calls the LR for a 96 the one with the threads. Seems odd, but I know the difference between the two is inside the drum on the old style was just a barrel end, the newer ones had a hook that hooked on to the park lever part of the brakes. I don't know if there were any other differences... But the image you posted at the start showed the main front cable going to the LR of the car before exiting, where mine it exits on the RR... I can assume if the cable came from the left you would have to reverse the two rear cables to get them to work properly.
Last edited by 3X00-Modified on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed other PN's for confusion reasons

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
uncle

Post by uncle »

The main cable is tucked up under the fuel lines for the time being. I just need part 23 from the illustration and i am good to go - I didn't realize that the main (inner) cable can be pulled out to reach the equalizer.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah it should be pulled through the equalizer and the metal end on the sheething stops in the equalizer and the barrel/cable is pulled to meet up with the left side cable and gets connected with Part #23 which should have been included with the cables you bought... or at least the ACDelco ones picture that coupler included, I'm not sure what brand you got.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
uncle

Post by uncle »

Delco. And I found the missing connector also...........

Much appreciation.

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO