Don't mess with texas - 3400 swap project

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
themixer

Post by themixer »

So its time, the rusted out 2001 venture van is in my driveway! Just bought a new house with a lovely 22x23 detached heated garage. I will have to post some pics of that too, but that's another thread. This should be really fun I have

not ever pulled a motor before, but lets see what happens! Worst case Ontario the Beretta and van will be burned to the ground and sent to the junkyard! So wish me luck

Car undergoing the knife --

1991 GT - 5 speed swapped originally from texas

Have done lots of looking online but just want to reconfirm with everyone here that has more experience than myself. Also doesnt help that most of the swap websites don't exist anymore (ex. http://www.3400swap.com)

Here is the parts list I have come up with. I would prefer to get new parts.

1. The power steering hard line from a 1994 3100 Beretta

EDELMANN Part # 80224 {#26027842} 16mm Male O-Ring x 16mm Male O-Ring x 17 1/2" Category: Power Steering Pressure Hose

2. Throttle Cable from a 1995 beretta Unable to find one on rock auto checking at the dealership for one.

3. Coolent pipes, Unable to find one on rock auto checking at the dealership for a set. Otherwise 5/8 heater hose will be used.

4. Upper rad hose, My van is a 2001 Venture should be still usable and the same as the recommended 1999 Montana

5. 3 Wire coolent temp sensor, GM/Delco Part # 10096181

6. Chip from WOT for 3400

7. Thottle cable bracket - Will find one at the junkyard for a car.

8. New clutch

9. Front engine mount.

Questions:

1. Should I buy the other power steering line Just as a precaution? Do they normally come off the old pump without issue?
2. The new 3 wire coolent temp sensor, does anyone have a wiring diagram for modification ?
3. With regards to the belt routing I would like to keep my AC system in tact. Is it possible to leave the 3.1 compressor connected and hang it out of the way for engine removal and install? Its not a problem if I must use the compressor from the 3400 I just need to know.
4. Clutch what is recommended for this appication, I would like to keep this car as stock as possible i am doing this moreso for just a nice reliable engine the clutch thats in the car is a special from rock auto that was $37 has lasted 40,000km and still feels great, but I know the 3400 will shread this.
5. Does anyone have a copy of the CADD drawing of the front engine mount? I really need something with exact measurements to give to my machine shop.

Really would appreciate any advice tips suggestions. Unlike most unfinished projects I do have the cashflow and time required to complete this!

Stencil
Administrator

Re: Don't mess with texas - 3400 swap project

Post by Stencil »

David Hill makes the brackets for 3400 swaps still. You can reach him at: davehill90@hotmail.com. I believe they are right at $150 if I recall.

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Rettax3 wrote: BTW, I also have made some of the front-mounts for adapting the 3X00 SFI engines into the older Berettas, and I am willing to make more if there is a demand for them...
Mark III Mount.  Currently being kept as a template, and retained for the unlikely event that I decide to drop a 3X00 into my Yellow Indy.
Mark III Mount. Currently being kept as a template, and retained for the unlikely event that I decide to drop a 3X00 into my Yellow Indy.
Mark III Mount.  Currently being kept as a template, and in case I decide to drop a 3X00 into my Yellow Indy.
Mark III Mount. Currently being kept as a template, and in case I decide to drop a 3X00 into my Yellow Indy.
Mark IV Heavy-Duty Mount.  This is what I would re-make.
Mark IV Heavy-Duty Mount. This is what I would re-make.
Mark IV Heavy-Duty Mount.  This is what I would re-make.
Mark IV Heavy-Duty Mount. This is what I would re-make.
These are not as complex as the ones sold on the other site, and they are able to accept the older-style A/C bracket.
On my '90 Turbo 'Retta, I retained the original A/C compressor so I wouldn't have to break the Freon seal and have the system evacuated. So, in regards to question #3, YES, you can hang the compressor out of the way and continue to use it with the 3X00. You WILL have to trim-down the bottom of the bracket to clear the larger 3X00 cast oil-pan, and the 3400 is lacking one of the A/C compressor-bracket bolt-holes (next to the timing cover), and is totally lacking support for the bracket at the top. Mine works fine, but the front mount I made also supports the top of the A/C compressor-bracket, so it isn't being unduly stressed. I don't see how the '60degree V-6'-style mount supports the older A/C bracket, so if you go that route, you probably WON'T be able to retain the old compressor.
It would also be a little cheaper than the other ones, so if you are interested, let me know. I could have another one built and shipped inside of a week or two. I can also build a bolt-together adjustable version if desired...

If you are not using the hi-res (24X) crank sensor (behind the harmonic balancer), consider swapping the old 3.1 timing-case over to the 3400. You can retain the original lower radiator hose (which isn't on your list, but needs to be otherwise since the 3X00 engines use a different outlet size at the water-pump than the LH0 3.1 MPFI engines do).

Don't forget the pics! :wink:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
themixer

Post by themixer »

Looks like i will get one from David his products look top quality.

I have no problem using the 3400 compressor or having the system evacuated. I assume that all the fittings are the same. I think it might make it easier for me as this is my first engine swap / pull / change.

Can I use the lower rad hose from the venture van or do I need to get something else?

The wiring of that temp sensor is also very important I would like my gauge cluster to work. Does the 3400 have a oil pressure sensor for the cluster like the 3.1 ? Also vacuum lines?
Last edited by themixer on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themixer

Post by themixer »

update to the project, currently am running all new rear lines and replacing the fuel pump just as a precaution as they are cheap. Also patching and welding a section small section of the inner rocker.

Here is a pic of my detached heated garage!

Not that I am in any rush but just bumping for planning purposes ! Anyone know answers to the question above?
Attachments
photo.JPG

themixer

Post by themixer »

bump for answers to questions !

themixer

Post by themixer »

New fuel pump
sending unit
straps
New lines fuel lines

Brake lines are 95% done!
Attachments
image.jpeg

themixer

Post by themixer »

Ordered a mount from David, already shipped !

Some progress on the motor swap now that its out, going to ask a dealer mechanic to do headgaskets and intakes on it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNC2D1p ... ture=share

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

No ones brought up the coolant pipe and the issue of finding one - just use 5/8" heater hose, that's all I used on mine and I'm much happier with it as you can bend it wherever you need it to go, and the cost is much cheaper.

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
themixer

Post by themixer »

I will be using the heater hose for sure.

Anyone able to help me with these questions?

- Clutch, am i going to have a problem reusing my stock? Or will it just ruin it?
- Can I use the lower rad hose from the venture van or do I need to get something else?
- The wiring of that temp sensor is also very important I would like my gauge cluster to work. Does the 3400 have a oil pressure sensor for the cluster like the 3.1 ? Also vacuum lines?

themixer

Post by themixer »

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FX-STAGE-1-CLUTC ... mtr&_uhb=1

I would have thought a stage 1 would have been more money than this, but is this a good brand of clutch?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

That is not a typical name brand... so that's why it's so cheap.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

not ideal, I don't like doing this twice.

What to you recommend mr. pinkomatic?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Spec, clutchmasters, exedy are a few I'm familiar with.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I'm not a fan of spec. Never got a full duration of use as most claimed before something failed with one. That goes with many kinds of drivetrains.

_________
-------------