what did you do to your ride today?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Rettax3

Re: what did you do to your ride today?

Postby Rettax3 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:40 pm

Took the Yellow Indy out a couple of times recently, getting some love too... At the gas-station, the attendant came out and struck-up a conversation about the car, and at a rare night-out to a local restaurant, a group of guys were hanging around admiring the styling when we came out. NO ONE had a clue what the car was, of course! :ROFL: I even heard some praise about the exhaust-note when I thumbed the key, and to me, this is my WORST-sounding Beretta. :oops: Though still not bad... Makes me wish I had washed her and given her a fresh waxing, but that has now been a couple of years, so she is past-due. The Indy is ready for some more-than-minor touch-up work, including a chin-spoiler swap or re-repair (sink-hole in the parking-lot at my old work cracked the spoiler right where I had repaired it some years ago, so I had to remove the corner or risk losing it altogether). [Sigh] Maybe next Spring?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26

Rettax3

Postby Rettax3 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Took the GTU out yesterday for some exercise (and grins). On the way home, about 20 miles or so left to go, I noticed the steering was suddenly quite heavy -I was traveling at ~45 with gentle curves, so not a huge deal, but... Why? Yep, voltage-gauge was showing low too, about two bars (digi-dash car :wink: ) below normal. Okay, I lost the accessory belt. No problem, the battery can get me home, and I don't need power steer... PROBLEM! This ISN'T a Quad 4 car or our Toyota! I just lost my water-pump too...
The 3800 is a dinosaur iron-head engine, about as tough as they come in a GM, but I didn't want to hurt it trying to make that distance with no water-pump. I made it a little further to a safe turn-off and popped the hood. The old belt was fine -the tensioner-pulley had disintegrated... "Huh," I thought, "I didn't think I had any plastic pulleys left on this engine, I thought I got RID of them all..." Apparently not -actually I am thinking now that I had to swap one back IN due to a bad bearing on the steel one I put in there, but I don't recall for sure...
Well, there I am on the side of the road, but I have tools... I was able to swap-out the Supercharger tensioner-pulley in a few minutes, and was back on the road to home, sans Supercharger though. Definitely noticed a difference in response, even though I was driving very carefully. At one point, the engine did hiccup too, I didn't like that at all. The GTU runs flawlessly normally, so that stutter was definitely caused by the lack of SC belt. The one big problem is that I had re-routed the belts, eliminating two idler-pulleys, their friction, and potential failure, and getting shorter belts in the bargain. BUT, while the accessory-drive belt tensioner pulley is smooth, the SC belt tensioner pulley is grooved, so I had to run a grooved pulley on the smooth back of the accessory belt, not really good for it. But, the belt is quite old (about ten years old), so should be replaced anyway.

Overall, I could have done without the disruption in my pleasure-drive, but it was a nice day out, I got the problem fixed with a little Macgyvering, and that felt good, and my car got me home again. Today? I get to go spelunking through my box-o-pulleys to find a decent STEEL pulley... :P

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26

woody90gtz

Postby woody90gtz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:01 pm

That's just called "adventure"

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
GEARHEAD youtube channel

Return to “General Discussion”