red wire from fan relay keeps melting shutting fan off

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Gaigery

red wire from fan relay keeps melting shutting fan off

Post by Gaigery »

Okay so there's this red(or pinkish) wire ( from the bottom connector of the cooling fan relay that is connected to the (circut breaker?) To the right of the relay ) that has melted in half. I wired them back together and turned the car on with ac running and the fan spun, but the wire keeps melting and disconnecting. Does this mean I need a new relay? Or is there something else I'm not seeing? This is an 89 Chevy Beretta GT with 2.8 MFI V6

Rettax3

Re: red wire from fan relay keeps melting shutting fan off

Post by Rettax3 »

I am assuming you are looking at the engine coolant fan circuit, not the heater/ A/C blower-motor circuit... The wire that keeps 'melting' SHOULD BE a 'Fusible Link', it is a special type of wire used just like a fuse. When too much current starts running through the wiring, either due to a direct short to ground or a component failure, the fusible link melts and breaks the circuit. You cannot effectively 'fix' a Fusible Link, so splicing it back together is unlikely to work. Autoparts stores sell replacement Links -just match up the same size diameter or 'gauge' wire -the original should have small writing on the side identifying the gauge. Do NOT just replace it with a regular wire -you can cause serious wiring damage to the car if you do, even a fire. You probably have something failing though, so you will keep eating the Fusible Links until you fix the problem -make sure the fan spins freely by hand first of all, check continuity to ground for the circuit to see if you have a direct short. The fan motor itself could have failed too, you would need to run an Amp check to see how much current it is drawing. Good luck!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26