Speed Limiter

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
rweatherford

Speed Limiter

Post by rweatherford »

All of them have limiters.  GTZ's with V rated tires have a limiter that is higher than the car can achieve in most all modified versions.  I not sure, but I would guess it is at the V speed rating.  Which I think is over 140 MPH.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

leadfoot93

Speed Limiter

Post by leadfoot93 »

well the speed limiter is removed all i did was put a toggle switch in the line from the vss on my tunnel cover so when i'm at 100 i just flip off the speedometer and then flip the tcc switch to reactivate it (it shuts off when you dissconect the vss) and thats it.  Down the line i'll either install a new speedometer or a new chip so i can know how fast i'm going without doing any rpm calculations off the tach like i do now.  Took the first 130 run yesterday.

foot in the floor mpg about 8
bbeck

Speed Limiter

Post by bbeck »

nice quick fix leadfoot...

leadfoot93

Speed Limiter

Post by leadfoot93 »

yeah i was pretty proud of it.  I word to the wise though don't light the switch i thought about doing but then realized it would have made me the worlds biggest moron as the twelve volt ground from light would flow right through the ecm and fry the hell out of it.  couldn't find a switch with a separte bulb circuit  either.

bbeck

Speed Limiter

Post by bbeck »

Any reason the VSS mod wouldn't work on my 88 manual trans car?  This would be nice if I need the extra speed again

3100SFI

Speed Limiter

Post by 3100SFI »

I sure hope you have properly rated tires while doing this.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle
bbeck

Speed Limiter

Post by bbeck »

that's a very good point 3100sfi, I imagine 130mph won't be a problem.  maybe v-rated tires will be on the list next.

rweatherford

Speed Limiter

Post by rweatherford »

So you are guesstimating your speed from an automatic tranny with an unlocked converter?

Kinda a rough guess don't you think? ÂÂÂ Try using a GPS or something.  

Rex Weatherford

leadfoot93

Speed Limiter

Post by leadfoot93 »

no installed a tach in mine a while ago so i don't push it too hard while locking the gears so i could use that to know what rpm's the motor was doing then i figured out how many mph each 500 rpm's was and i thought i said that i have a switch in the tcc as well to reingauge it while the vss is off.  So i figured i could probably rough it to within 5 mph of what i was doing and i have brand spankin new tires so that wasn't really a concern for just 130 ish.

Edit: Also it should work even better  on a manual because then you don't even have to worry about the damn tcc

Speed Limiter

Post by Guest »

just wanting to ask lol but how would some one with a 89 gtu take that limiter out or over ride it ?  

rweatherford

Speed Limiter

Post by rweatherford »

Chip or the same VSS trick.

Rex Weatherford

TheWhiteWolf

Speed Limiter

Post by TheWhiteWolf »

I still don't understand on why someone would do this.  The limiter is there for a reason, and it has nothing to do with U.S. speed limits.  It is not for someones one safety either.  A car crashing at 85 would for the most part be just as damaging as 120 but at least at 80-85, you may still have some control to miss a oncoming problem.  The vehical has mechanical limits, a small pot hole at 120+?  I'm sure you'll see it in time and can slow down or move out of the way.  A small leak in a tire causeing the tire to shred almost instantly, ya... 130 mph, good idea, no problem keeping the car under control.

Maybe I have seen first hand what happens more then once when a car travels faster then its mechanical limits and affects the lives of 11 years old kids going to soccer.  Yup. I bet those couple minutes of speed was worth it to the driver.  Simply stupid in my mind.  

bbeck

Speed Limiter

Post by bbeck »

yeah whitewolf... why go 70-75 when you can do 35-40 and get there?  Why have 400 horsepower when 125 will do?  some people just like the feeling- and opinions like yours will not change our minds.  

wil_wil2

Speed Limiter

Post by wil_wil2 »

35-40mph will likely cause an accident on the highway.

TheWhiteWolf

Speed Limiter

Post by TheWhiteWolf »

(bbeck @ Mar. 27 2007,21:16)QUOTEyeah whitewolf... why go 70-75 when you can do 35-40 and get there?  Why have 400 horsepower when 125 will do?  some people just like the feeling- and opinions like yours will not change our minds. ÂÂÂ
Why have 400 over 125? Cause there is places to go and use it.  Why 35 over 70? Cause a little kid my chase a ball on to the road!  That’s why!  Maybe you should be that kid that runs after your little red rubber ball when some idiot comes down a street at 70 mph!  Think about what you actually have said first.  Be reasonable about it and have a little sense about it, the difference between 35 and 70 on a city road is that same as 75 to 120+ on a freeway while in a Beretta.  Would you ever go up a city populated street at that speed?  I sure hope not!  If you do and think it's "coolâ€Â