ABS problem

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Eddie

ABS problem

Post by Eddie »

Ok, My ABS works fine, except rarely it kicks in on dry pavement. But the other day, I noticed a problem that I checked many times.

If I start my car, the ABS light lights, then goes off. Then, if I turn my 4-way flashers or hazards on, the ABS light lights again. Then if I put my foot on the brake (or turn off 4-ways, then put my foot on the brake), The ABS light blinks.

When I restart my car, it is fine, untill I put my 4-ways back on.

I don't know if this is normal, or if I have an electrical problem.

My other problems are a low Idle (around 550 to 600), the only problem with that is my charging system. The voltage gets really low, and the headlights dim at a stop light.

And an SES light for my EGR valve. I've replaced my EGR valve, but I still get the SES light.

Any thoughts?

Eddie

Jeff P

ABS problem

Post by Jeff P »

Do all 5 of your brakelights work?  Is your 3rd brakelight plugged in?  Do you have a spoiler?  Sounds weird, I know, but it's important.  I'm thinking a code A096 might be your problem.

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?  What year/engine?  If need be, you can adjust your minimum idle if everything else is working correctly.

EGR depends on year/engine.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Eddie

ABS problem

Post by Eddie »

It's a '92 GT 3.1L V6, 3 speed automatic. It has a spoiler, and yes, the chmsl doesn't work.

I was going to try and replace the bulbs, but the screws that hold the assembily together from the back are completely rusted flat. I was going to replace the whole chmsl assembily.

What do you think?

rweatherford

ABS problem

Post by rweatherford »

Look into the idle relearn procedure.  Also clean the IAC, TB, etc while you are messing with stuff.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Jeff P

ABS problem

Post by Jeff P »

Obviously this is something that is tough to diagnose without knowing which ABS codes have been set, and I don't want you to have to go to a lot of trouble, so if I were having the same problems here's what I'd do.  The ABS computer *could* be seeing that the spoiler light doesn't work since it does monitor the brakelight circuit, but with the condition of the screws I'd ignore that for the moment and try this...With the ignition on, engine off, test the voltage of the orange wire at the brake switch (by the brake pedal lever).  Then hold the brake in and test the voltage at the light blue wire.  Release the brake and fold down the rear seat, then pull the trunk carpet away from the wheelwell on the driver's side.  There's a connector above the wheelwell with 3 wires going into it:  orange, black, and light blue.  Unplug the connector, use something to keep the brake pedal depressed, and test the voltage of the light blue wire at the pin side.  All 3 readings should be about battery voltage.  The ABS computer also monitors charging system voltage and will turn on the ABS light if low voltage won't allow ABS to work right if you need it.  So while you're doing the stuff Rex suggested, it would be a good idea to clean the battery terminals and check the condition of the positive wire from the battery to the alternator (since your charging system isn't running quite right).  Beyond that, I'm really not sure what the problem might be except for possibly the multifunction switch inside the steering column.  Idle relearn procedure

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Mr Goodwrench

ABS problem

Post by Mr Goodwrench »

the egr code is a funny thing.  try to clean it an the tube an see if its better..  do you let your car coast at or above 35mph??? like comming to a stop sign?  if you do it can set a code with pre obd2 cars 94 an older..  some thing with a low o2 count in pindle #3.  u could try a new/updated one if cleaning dont help

Mr Goodwrench
mine goes on every day same code to.  95 an up can have a ecm reflash that helps fix the problem.

rweatherford

ABS problem

Post by rweatherford »

The ABS code is probably caused by the low voltage of the system.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)