throttle problem

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
wht96

throttle problem

Post by wht96 »

i have a 96 beretta and im having a few idle and throttle responce problems.  sometime, but not all the time, when i start the car cold it will "surge" off and on like an irratic idle but almost smooth. also when this problem happens there will be a big delay in throttle responce. One time i started the car gave it a few minutes to warm up a bit and pulled out. as soon as i pulled out the car was stuck in an idle i gave it gas and the car didnt respond just moved as if i i didn't give any gas. it acted like that until i floored it and held it until the car came to life. it took almost a whole block to wake up. this issue doesnt throw a code or set off any other signals. so any help would be appreciated. i want to get this sorted out before i go to a 5-speed so any help would be great. thanks in advance and you guys are awsome you've helped me out alot on here...

wht96

throttle problem

Post by wht96 »

noone has any ideas??? i guess im in deeper then i thought. i guess i could just start replacing sensers. but that'll get pretty expensive...

Fuel

throttle problem

Post by Fuel »

did you try idle relearn?
need more info

wht96

throttle problem

Post by wht96 »

i think i tried it once before. but even so wouldnt the car relearn the idle just by everyday use? i guess i could try it again, tell me if im wrong but dont you start it let it warm up for 5 minutes turn it off let it cool and start it again? or is there something else im missing. and what other info would you like?? im not sure what else you'ld want to know?

Fuel

throttle problem

Post by Fuel »

Taken from the FAQ

#5 HOW DO YOU DO THE IDLE RELEARN PROCEDURE? WHEN DO I NEED TO DO IT? WILL IT WORK ON MY BERETTA?
-The Idle relearn is done by starting your car, and leaving it idle until the fans turns on, and turns off. After that first *cycle*, turn the car off and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Start the car again, and let it go through another *cycle*, turn the car off again.Now you should have done 2 full fan cycles and the ECM should have relearned the idle. Start your car again and it's done.You need to do an Idle relearn anytime you disconnect the battery, and/or for some odd reason your ECM loses power for more then 20 seconds.It works on ALL Berettas.

Jeff P

throttle problem

Post by Jeff P »

I don't know what kind of sensors yer newfangled '96 has, but when you refer to throttle problems the first thing I'd suspect is the throttle position sensor.  Maybe it is loose or bad.  I've had issues with the throttle getting stuck before, causing the car not to respond to my input, but that was just a simple binding issue fixed with some lube to the spring, etc.  Just a thought.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
rweatherford

throttle problem

Post by rweatherford »

The relearn procedure was for the old 88-93 cars with V-6's.  I'm not sure if it would work on the newer ones.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)