Additional Detroit activity

Archive section for Bfest Topics
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I didn't see this mentioned in the proposal, so I figured I would toss this in too.

Detroit also houses an awesome comedy club called "Second City" which can be viewed here: http://www.secondcity.com .  While Detroit isn't the only place to have a Second City (Chicago also has one), this will be an opprotunity to go to a great comedy club while in Detroit for BFest 2007 if Detroit wins.

Second City has been going since 1993 in Detroit, and is located right across from Comerica Park, in the same building as Hockeytown, USA (a bar/restaurant decorated w/ Detroit Redwings attire).

The interesting thing about Second City is that it is the basis for many actors and actresses careers. Many of the people that performed in Second City "graduated" to performing on Saturday Night Live, and several of those people have moved even further up the scale to star in movies and TV sitcoms. Some of these people are Mike Myers, Bill Murray, John Candy, Jim and John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Eugene Levy, Tina Fey, Bonnie Hunt, Harold Ramis, Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, etc... as you can see, there are a lot of hilarious people that have been through the Second City.

There are performances every weekend, so there should be a performance the weekend of BFest. Tickets are usually around $20, but it appears through the website that group rates are available. This is a great option for those that don't want to get involved with parking lot drama (or at least want to postpone it ), have some good laughs, grab some food or beer, and have a great time.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

Chicago's is the oldest, largest and the most known  Second City.  I have only been to it only 2 times.  I honestly forgot they opened a troup/club in Detroit.  Most of those known stars you mention came through the Chicago and/or Toronto.

Here is a list of the Detroit alumni...

(1993) Jerry Minor (SNL, Mr Show)
(1993) Suzy Nakamura
(1996) Larry Joe Campbell
Keegan-Michael Key
Nyima Funk
Colin Ferguson (Founding Member)

Why is a Motown music event or venue not in the works?  OR how about the Heidelberg project

http://flickr.com/photos/joeyharrison/sets/469216/

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

Allll about the comedy club!