91 gtz clutch problem

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
hagg1234

91 gtz clutch problem

Post by hagg1234 »

We just had the gtz motor put in, while the motor was out, we put on a new clutch kit, water pump along with some belts.  
Within less than 2 weeks, it appears as if
the clutch went out on it.  It will start -engine runs great but it wont go in gear.
Any suggestions other than the obvious - pull it apart and try again.  Unfortunately the mechanic who did the work will charge over again for the labor cost.

Is is worth even continuing with getting her road worthy?

KEN
Jeff P

91 gtz clutch problem

Post by Jeff P »

So you're sure it's not the transmission itself or linkage (loose/broken)?  Maybe a shift cable is broken?  If you like the car, it's worth getting it roadworthy.  Tell you what, I miss my Quad

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
hagg1234

91 gtz clutch problem

Post by hagg1234 »

So far everything that I can get to and check on looks like its working.  I guess I have to bite the bullet and take her in.  These things just arent meant to be pulled in your garage.

KEN
hagg1234

91 gtz clutch problem

Post by hagg1234 »

Well we took her in to another mechanic. He put a new clutch in. From what it looks like,the old one exploded.  The auto shop where we bought the clutch kit from said it was probably the first mechanic who didnt align it correct the first time.  I guess time will tell.  Wish me luck

KEN
1988GTU

91 gtz clutch problem

Post by 1988GTU »

Who ever installed it probably put it in backwards.  What brand clutch did ya get this time around?

_________
-------------
hagg1234

91 gtz clutch problem

Post by hagg1234 »

I purchased the second clutch from CarQuest.  It was a $200 clutch. Supposed to be a higher quality clutch.    It has been on the road for over 3 weeks and the thing runs great!

KEN