Where can i find parts?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Branaldo

Where can i find parts?

Post by Branaldo »

Just a new guy here, i have a 93 gtz with a blown quad 4. I'm looking to restore it but i haven't torn into it yet. Is there anywhere that you guys have been lucky with finding parts for the quad 4?

themixer

Where can i find parts?

Post by themixer »

Usually these quad motors are very hard to come by, there is a member here that converted his to a 3500 V6, might be an option for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Where can i find parts?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It all depends on what your looking for too... I wouldn't suggest a V6 swap over fixing the quad without knowing what the problem is.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

At least 3 members here got rid of the Quad 4 and swapped to the 3500.

Quad4Z26 (cant remember his name)
G9T2Z (Jamie)

and me..

It has just been confirmed that the 3500 external crank triggers are available again so all is available for the 3500 swap

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Branaldo

Post by Branaldo »

3X00-Modified wrote:It all depends on what your looking for too... I wouldn't suggest a V6 swap over fixing the quad without knowing what the problem is.
Yeah i definitely will be finding out the extent of the damage first. I want to keep it a quad if i can help it. I'll let you guys know when i find out. I appreciate all the replies too. Last time i was on a forum nobody who was serious answered my question lol. So thank you guys.

speedy

Post by speedy »

where are you from? and what color is the gtz? welcome btw! and dont swap it to a v6, its usually easier to just buy a v6 car and start with that. think about it, swap a motor, trans, wiring, cluster, ect. or simply swap a body kit? lol.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
Quad4Z26

Post by Quad4Z26 »

What tipped me over on the 3500 swap was a spun rod bearing...again...and thrashed rod an crank. Spent about a month gathering parts then did the swap within 2 days.

I can honestly say I spent a few hundred dollars more in doing the 3500 swap than rebuilding the Quad 4, the correct way.

Depending on your situation, doing a 3500 swap could be one alternative

1of 896 Quad4 Z26's....now 3500 5spd swapped!-sold
'14 C7 Z51 7SPD
Branaldo

Post by Branaldo »

speedy wrote:where are you from? and what color is the gtz? welcome btw! and dont swap it to a v6, its usually easier to just buy a v6 car and start with that. think about it, swap a motor, trans, wiring, cluster, ect. or simply swap a body kit? lol.
I'm from southern VA. My gtz is white, and thank you. and yeah that makes sense. I'm praying that the block isn't cracked. I'm hoping to get a chance to take a look tomorrow. See what happened was it was run through a deep puddle of water probably going about 55 and it sucked water right into the intake. It still ran when we parked it, but it was knocking really bad. So i don't know the fact that it ran gives it any hope or not. You guys tell me? lol

Branaldo

Post by Branaldo »

I was just thinking about the how oldsmobiles had quad 4's as well. Would a quad from an olds fit my gtz?

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Yes it will but mounting points might be lil different pending what yr your car is compare to the cutlass

speedy

Post by speedy »

not only that but some came with the high output quad 4, some didnt, is the car something you would consider selling?? if your planning on keeping it, im not far from you, i live in northeast pa and have tons of quad parts and im pretty good at finding quad 4 motors, then theres jeff from quad4forums.com, he can hook you up too, as well as build you an engine but buffalo ny might be a hell of a drive from where you are?

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
Branaldo

Post by Branaldo »

speedy wrote:not only that but some came with the high output quad 4, some didnt, is the car something you would consider selling?? if your planning on keeping it, im not far from you, i live in northeast pa and have tons of quad parts and im pretty good at finding quad 4 motors, then theres jeff from, he can hook you up too, as well as build you an engine but buffalo ny might be a hell of a drive from where you are?
I do really love this car and i think i would very much consider driving there if I needed to. I would hate to let this gtz go without it having a chance to be resurrected. They are so rare so i feel like it deserves it. Unfortunately i still haven't been able to tear into it yet to find out what the damage is. I had to cut and split wood on sunday so that i could have heat for this freakin ice storm we're having. But i do have a bad feeling about the engine block. I'll keep in touch and if you could help me when i know whats wrong that would be massively appreciated.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

You can also put in a 2.4L 'Twin Cam' LD9, they are much easier to find in good shape. The Quad H.O. makes more HP, but the LD9 has alot of low-end torque, for a four-banger. It will bolt right up to your tranny, you can dress it up (IDI cover) to look about like your stock Quad, I THINK the intake manifold will swap over too, but I am not 100% on that. A newer LD9 (late '99+) has higher compression and an EGR delete, which is a little nice IMO. Knock-sensor is different, especially on the later engines, and you will need the Twin Cam's A/C compressor and alternator as the Quad ones will not bolt up. You will gain a direct-drive P/S pump and ditch that idiotic after-thought secondary belt used on the Quad, and the Twin Cam is an internally counter-balanced engine, and is therefore a little smoother than the Quad, if that matters. The LD9's water-pump setup just sucks compared to the Quad's though, so I would recommend re-using your old timing-chain housing and water-pump on the LD9 (you need to oval-out one mounting hole, IIRC). Keep your original fuel injectors too, as the LD9 had two totally different types (high vs low impedance) of injectors, depending on the year, and may not have the same flow-rate as your Quad's either . I don't recall if the lower dog-bone mount can bolt right on or not. Overall, a lot simpler than a V-6 swap, and a little more 'correct', in that you are at least staying in the same engine family, and won't have to also swap-out the transaxle... If you are in an emissions-controlled area, a V-6 swap may not be a real option for you anyway.

Well, it is just a thought... :pardon:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26