Snap-On Scanners Bricking Fix

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rettax3
Registered User
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Snap-On Scanners Bricking Fix

Post by Rettax3 »

Just an FYI and solution. September 2026, many Snap-On scanners bricked themselves (I don't mean the old Snap-On "Red Brick" MT-2500 as I don't believe they were susceptible to this issue, I will have to check mine -yes I still have an operational one AND I use it!).

This is a licensing-lease expiration condition. Stupid, but we who have these scammers, er, sorry, I meant "scanners" do NOT own the software within, we are 'leasing' it from Snap-On. I absolutely hate this. But, we don't even own the O/S in most of our computers anymore... The way of the world.

So, the fix is fast, free, and easy.
-Go to Snap-On's site: https://www.snapon.com/EN/US/Diagnostics/SSC
-Download the ShopStream Connect, and install. Fast and easy. Accept the licensing terms AFTER reading them, if you so wish. Necessary to fix this problem.
-Open up the ShopStream Connect software -it looks like an old Windows program and won't do much on its' own.
-Turn your scan-tool on and go to the 'Tools' menu. Select "Connect To PC".
-Plug in your scanner to your computer -mine uses a USB Mini-type cord, which is now obsolete, but still very common. I like old stuff and hardly throw anything that still works away, so I still have several of these cords.
-Mine self-updated. No, it did not upgrade the software to a newer version for the newer makes/models which is a pay-to-play upgrade, but I run a Solus Ultra, which is no longer supported or upgraded anyway. A pop-up message telling you to unplug and reboot the scan-tool should appear.
-Unplug the scan-tool, turn it off, then turn it back on.
-Done. I tested mine to be sure.

No, I won't buy another scan-tool from them. I got this one for myself because the shop I worked at used one and I was familiar with it. It works very well and mine has paid for itself time and again, but it is very limited on European makes (Matco makes a better unit for Euros IMO). Shrug. I like my scan-tool, BUT anything that will auto-disable ("brick") on some hidden schedule isn't worth spending money on, just on principle.

I hope this helps someone! Maybe you can go find a used one for cheap that the seller doesn't know how to fix... Time to hit ebay and the pawn-shops! :pardon:
1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Post Reply