Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Twitch21

Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Post by Twitch21 »

Well my car was having problems stalling while idoling and having a rough idle so I took it in for a tune-up last week. I got my car back drove it for about 2 days then started having major problems:

1) When starting after it's been sitting for more than 8 hours or so it almost stalls right away then revs up to about 3000rpm until I begin moving. After that or at any other time it has a nasty rough idle. Sometimes even at reds it'll drop to about 500rpm.
2) When trying to accellerate the car feels like it's hesitating and sort of lurches along. It definately has lost much power and I'm afraid to give it too much gas because it'll jump.
3) Sometimes at highway speed it'll shake quite a bit and tonight I tried seeing what it could do and it was struggling to push past 125kms...

Is there any simple solutions or should I take it back to the shop and make them give it the work-over.

EDIT:: After reading the TroubleShooting Pinned Topic a slight guess by me could be something to do with spark plugs? I did take it in for a tune-up and there may be a fault there by the shop?

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L
Stock everything except the sound system.
docrodg

Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Post by docrodg »

Sounds like an ignition issue.  Check the plugs, and make sure the wires are routed correctly and in the right order.  Also check for spark on all cylinders.  Seems the car is trying to recover from ignition issues with the RPM fluctuations.  Since a tuneup was just done then the stuff they messed with is likely the problem.  Other potential culprits are the crank sensor, ign module, and coil packs.

Twitch21

Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Post by Twitch21 »

Thank you very much I'll let you know how it goes

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L
Twitch21

Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Post by Twitch21 »

What's the possiblility that the lurching/shaking during driving is result of poor CV joints?
It's going in on monday to get looked at.

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L
docrodg

Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Post by docrodg »

The lurching wouldn't be the CVs.  Some vibration can occur when they get bad, especially on turns, and sually with a clicking in the turn.  Just reach behind the wheel and grab the axle and try to turn it, there should be no play in the joints.  The axle will move a little from the transaxle but look at the joints as you turn and you will see any slop.

Twitch21

Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Post by Twitch21 »

well my CV joints are gone becuase I've had the "clicking" in my turning for a while but have neglected repairing it.

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L
Twitch21

Stall/Lurching/Chugging

Post by Twitch21 »

Lucky me, turns out the problem was intake gasket. CV joints are also shot but are under warranty.

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L