tgp engine installation

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
backyardpb

tgp engine installation

Post by backyardpb »

I threw a rod in the 3.1 liter "T" engine in my 91 gtz.  I just bought a 3.1 liter "V" engine out of a tgp comlpete with turbo assembly along with the radiator and intercooler. I did a search on the forums for some info. i hear that the engine mount gets in the way?? im not sure how many people have dropped a tgp engine in there beretta. just looking for a heads up on the engine mount modification.  thanks guys. ill have pics n stuff as i proceed on installing this thing. im going to bed. ill try atleast. im pretty stoked about this engine!

white 1991 beretta GTZ 3.1 liter with a getrag 5 speed conversion.
Ribz80

tgp engine installation

Post by Ribz80 »

You can either get the engine mount out of a 92+ L-body or modify the crossover.   TurboGTU is the go to guy, as he did the setup and modified his engine mount.

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
z284pwr

tgp engine installation

Post by z284pwr »

Yeah, what he said, the engine is the same *basically, few differences*, its just the turbo parts that get in the way...oh and its the transmission mount that gets in the way.  That lovely one just to the right *driver's side* of the TB, yeah, its a PITA mount indeed.  You can modify and weld the mount to the side like the newer style Beretta mounts are, or modify the crossover like Ribz said.
Did you get the electronics to go with it is as well?  Even so, you will have need to have the chip modified for a 5spd.  3.1 Turbo 5spd GTZ....mmmmm

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
backyardpb

tgp engine installation

Post by backyardpb »

yea, when I did my 5speed conversion me and another tech at work were discussing flashing the pcm for the 5spd. in my aspects it ran fine so I never did. I was unable to retrieve the electronics for the engine. they were already ganked unfortunatley. I did pick the engine up from the yard today and dissasembled it at work. ill take a digi cam in tommrow and snaps some picks. I was astonished at how clean this engine was
internaly. Its definetly a reman engine or has just been rebuilt. Im still slapping new bearings in it. a cam and lifters. oooooooooooooooooo I cant wait to start the conversion!

IsaacHayes

tgp engine installation

Post by IsaacHayes »

Cool. Get one of those custom TGP chips that guy online makes... I wonder if he is still around? They fix some "bugs"  in the stock code and make it run better. I think he can custom do other things too ...

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Ribz80

tgp engine installation

Post by Ribz80 »

You are likely talking about Darth Fiero.  He is the go to go, I have his email address as he is who I will be using to modify my TGP memcal.

A well tuned 3.1 turbo 5spd GTZ is about as good as an L-body can get......a 3400 on top of that would be icing.  After that a black 92 W26 5spd turbo.

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
IsaacHayes

tgp engine installation

Post by IsaacHayes »

Ya, my thought for the "ultimate" beretta as far as not a lot of cutting and custom stuff is: start out with 3.1mpfi 5speed, add turbo cam, TGP stuff w/better turbo, TGP chip, 3400 heads/intakes. You'd have the best of gen2 & gen3, plus 5spd & turbo that all worked together without much fabbing and tuning!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
z284pwr

tgp engine installation

Post by z284pwr »

(Ribz80 @ Oct. 11 2005,15:45)Q
U
O
T
EYou are likely talking about Darth Fiero.  He is the go to go, I have his email address as he is who I will be using to modify my TGP memcal.

A well tuned 3.1 turbo 5spd GTZ is about as good as an L-body can get......a 3400 on top of that would be icing.  After that a black 92 W26 5spd turbo.
His real name is Ryan Gick, his company is called Sinister Performance, I have a custom tuned TGP memcal from him sitting here right next to me.  Waiting for a reply so we can figure out what was wrong with the MAP readings, and sent for some more modifications, we'll see how good it runs.
Blown transmission, here I come!!!      no more shifting at 5300 RPM finally.....

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
berettaspeed

tgp engine installation

Post by berettaspeed »

(IsaacHayes @ Oct. 11 2005,20:32)Q
U
O
T
EYa, my thought for the "ultimate" beretta as far as not a lot of cutting and custom stuff is: start out with 3.1mpfi 5speed, add turbo cam, TGP stuff w/better turbo, TGP chip, 3400 heads/intakes. You'd have the best of gen2 & gen3, plus 5spd & turbo that all worked together without much fabbing and tuning!!
thats like 100% Custom, Tuning and Fabing... LOL

but end result would be nice......mmm i know a car but its not a L-body and the only thing they are missing is the 5spd.(3X00 top end TGP parts and a bunch of otherstuff) just missing that 5spd

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
IsaacHayes

tgp engine installation

Post by IsaacHayes »

berettaspeed: Well I mean by not "custom" is no custom engine mounts for say a 3800scIII swap. You'd use exsisting ones & block. No custom length CV axles. The "Fabbing" would be less if you used the TGP manifolds. Sure a little modification on them would be requied, but not from scratch. "Tunning" would be less as you'd have TGP parts, and a TGP chip to drop in. That's less tuning than say dealing with a full 3100 ODBII motor with the non removeable chip. You'd have to go with a complete custom computer, or auxilary system that way.

All the stuff I was talking about would "bolt up" rather easily and you'd still have the 60degree v6, and a computer with TGP factory code... All factory parts pretty much. Much easier than starting with a 3100 car and having to swap 5spd, and then you couldn't run a camshaft, and couldn't just "drop in" a TGP chip ya know? Most minimal work for biggest bang.  

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
z284pwr

tgp engine installation

Post by z284pwr »

(IsaacHayes @ Oct. 13 2005,14:44)Q
U
O
T
Eberettaspeed: Well I mean by not "custom" is no custom engine mounts for say a 3800scIII swap. You'd use exsisting ones & block. No custom length CV axles. The "Fabbing" would be less if you used the TGP manifolds. Sure a little modification on them would be requied, but not from scratch. "Tunning" would be less as you'd have TGP parts, and a TGP chip to drop in. That's less tuning than say dealing with a full 3100 ODBII motor with the non removeable chip. You'd have to go with a complete custom computer, or auxilary system that way.

All the stuff I was talking about would "bolt up" rather easily and you'd still have the 60degree v6, and a computer with TGP factory code... All factory parts pretty much. Much easier than starting with a 3100 car and having to swap 5spd, and then you couldn't run a camshaft, and couldn't just "drop in" a TGP chip ya know? Most minimal work for biggest bang. ÂÂÂ
Aftermarket Programmable ECU is your friend.  Yes "most" don't have the features of the stock ECU, but DAMN they are so convinent when you know how to use one and have one then go to a car that doesn't when you really need one the most.  With all this "custom" stuff, one would really help, since you probably won't drive it all that much, especially in the cold, it would be rather easy to setup and run just fine. Its also a lot easier to do if you don't have the equipment or know-how to custom tune a TGP chip.  Having someone else tune it for you is good yes but without them actually having the car to tune with, it will never be as good as it could, and I'm pretty sure most dynos won't have the equipment, including wide-band, to tune your chip.

Just another thought to try, especially with how cheap some are becoming

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
backyardpb

tgp engine installation

Post by backyardpb »

number 3 rod bearing  had a little groove but thats it. I emery clothed the crank and started prepping everything for reassembly. Im still waiting for parts and for my buddy to finish porting my heads.  Block has fresh paint and im working on making my plenum and valve covers pretty. Im so excited to get this tgp engine done and in my GTZ! . Ill keep you guys posted on the progress and post pics as often as I can. Heres some pics of the engine dissasembled

Here is the lucky GTZ inwhich this engine will be installed

TurboGTU

tgp engine installation

Post by TurboGTU »

The trans mount mod only goes if your using a Automatic. YOu need to mod or make a x-over pipe for the turbo to clear your 5spd mount...or use a fiero or w-body style setup of a mount for the 5spd. I'd make a new x-over if that is a original TGP x-over. They are prone to rust, cracks, and leaks. Awsome score.  

The electrical of a TGP setup are: 2 bar map sensor, 22lbs multec injectors, Manifold temp sensor, TGP memcal or stock v6 memcal with a 27c256 eprom with TGP embeded code, fuel pump, and hook up of the electric boost controller unless your going with a grinder valve. Their might be an issue with the AC pressure switching...but that was mine but im unsure because now don't have AC due to a leaky condensor and I am not paying top dollor for a cheap 2lb recharge   .
Thats it. Stock beretta ecm and all. Those gator backs won't do you any good. A stock clutch won't last.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
IsaacHayes

tgp engine installation

Post by IsaacHayes »

Cool. I really like that you got a 5speed in there too. That's gonna be one FUN car! That's what the GTZ should have been stock! turbov6 5spd! lol

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Jeff P

tgp engine installation

Post by Jeff P »

Yeah, no kidding.  Wait, would that make the GTZ a TGZ (Turbo Grand Z)?

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi