Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
yellow3800

Re: Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Postby yellow3800 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 am

As requested, here is an update from Koni. I offered to buy 20 sets of beretta original and it didn’t dignify a response... so that number must have to be way up there to resume production. Here is what they wrote me after reading this thread:

Andrew,
The closest cut-a-stuck insert in production now would likely be the 8610 1351Sport from the ’04-’07 Subaru WRX. Though just like previous options the valving is much different than that was used in the 8641 1239Sport for the Beretta. The compression damping is nearly 3x that of the Beretta damper. The length dimension are of the WRX insert however are actually much closer than that of the Mitsubishi insert 8641 1231Sport that was being used.

8641 1239Sport
MinL – 417mm
Maxl – 580mm
Body Dia. 47mm
Compression @.33m/s - 400
Rebound @ .33m/s - 650

WRX – 8610 1351Sport
MinL – 390mm
Maxl – 560mm
Body Dia. 44mm
Compression @.33m/s - 1100
Rebound @ .33m/s – 1600

Mitsubishi – 8641 1231Sport
MinL – 375mm
Maxl – 528mm
Body Dia. 44mm
Compression @.33m/s - 900
Rebound @ .33m/s - 1050

Mason O’Hara
Technical Sales Representative
KONI - an ITT company

koni

1961A International Way Hebron, KY 41048
T (859) 488 0324 | F (859) 334 3340) | mason.ohara@itt.com | www.koni-na.com

Alxsmt

Postby Alxsmt » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:12 am

Has anybody looked into the koni 8610 or 8611? I know they make them in a few sizes, and they seem to be pretty common to swap into random autox cars. Might be worth a shot

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Postby 3X00-Modified » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:05 pm

GOD DAMN, that's stiff.... but it may be what people want.

How would the tops interface into the upper mounts though? I know the Mitsu's needed both an additional spacer around the insert in the strut body as well as one on the top mount to make them work correctly.

yellow3800

Postby yellow3800 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:53 pm

That is the question! I will solve it by diving right in... I need to fix 4 cars suspension... so I’ll first be buying some nos mitsu and putting them to the old-style top bearings. If mitsu stock remains, (shockwarehouse) I’ll continue before going wrx... will post updates before years end hopefully.

evsnova74

Postby evsnova74 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:49 am

yellow3800 wrote:That is the question! I will solve it by diving right in... I need to fix 4 cars suspension... so I’ll first be buying some nos mitsu and putting them to the old-style top bearings. If mitsu stock remains, (shockwarehouse) I’ll continue before going wrx... will post updates before years end hopefully.

I tried to order them from shock warehouse and it charged my card at first, then a few days later I had a refund. I emailed asking why they refunded me and if they had these and never heard back. Then I googled to see if anyone else was saying anything about them and a lot of people were complaining about having to go through their bank to get their refunds so I just ruled them out and considered myself lucky.

At this point I'm wondering if there would be a problem with the balance front to rear trying to match these with the fox body rears. I just don't know enough about suspension I guess. If it's true that these are rebuildable, is it possible for them to change the valving when you send em in? I'm kind of at an impasse on this project because I don't want to install these eibachs unless I've got a good set of shocks and struts to go with them. I'm contemplating getting a set of KYB GR2s and being done with it despite seeing negative comments about them on this thread. It's just a winter car anyway.

yellow3800

Postby yellow3800 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:45 pm

It all depends on what you want and paying the opportunity cost for the end result. BALANCE IS ADJUSTABLE on a knob! It doesn’t get better than that (well some cars have electronic stiffness settings). So don’t consider balancing a problem. I adjust mine and go for a few months. Let’s say I then will drive a long way, I may want to soften them up. Curvy roads? I may stiffen them. Anything less is uncivilized! Lol. Now I thought that I went crazy placing an order with them. I ordered mucho stuff that week and did not snapshot my order confirmation. I do remember that total. Did I hit GO? Idk. No charge on my card either. I’ll try again tomorrow and thank you for the heads up! I’ll call them first to avoid arbitration.

NO- KONI will not change the valving when sending them in. They have their reasons. It’s on their FAQ. Excellent idea though.

Be careful buying old shocks. I have 4 cars to outfit. One daily driver got Gabriel’s cuz Mike Prides car is respectable for stock shocks so went with that. I don’t think that they are new and one blew out after 5 miles. So IF you go stock (uncivilized) I recommend the current brands. Oh and winter or beater cars need fun too.

evsnova74

Postby evsnova74 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:37 am

Is the adjustment capable of accounting for the difference between 400/650 for the L/N vs 1100/1600 for the WRX though? And I wonder what the numbers for the fox body rears are (I'm assuming that since one of the previous posts discovered that that brand of rear shock fit with a bigger bolt on the bottom, if I get koni yellows for a fox body of the same year that those will also fit).

I wondered about the old stock too. I put new rear shocks on this thing a few years ago and one is already blown out. While they're not as expensive as the konis (the WRX ones above seem to be way more than the prices I was seeing for the mitsus), the gr2s I found are 360$ for a full set so not exactly as cheap as the cheapest shocks and struts on rock auto- which is another option I considered- just going with uncivilized stock shocks and struts with fe3 springs for now while I continue to search for the konis, save these eibachs for the future. I'm already doing poly bushings everywhere, even the rear axle (thank you beretta.net), addco rear swaybar and 18mm direct acting front swaybar (fe7? It's from an gtz) so it'll be pretty good even with the stock springs and shocks/struts.

I also looked into the 8610/8611 option mentioned by alxsmt above. They might be doable but I don't know what it means by "gland nut" and couldn't find info on it with the little amount of searching I did, I'll keep digging because the dimensions look like they might work. I'll have to dig out an old strut and see what the diameter is, surely it's more than 43mm or whatever the 8610 I found was.

Kinda funny, I had this planned for a summer project so I could drive this thing through the winter and park the GTO when the salt comes. So I found the mitsus on jegs and ordered them. I got an email saying it will ship on 12-31-2021, this was many months ago so I wrote it off as not a viable option. But now that's only a month away so we'll see if they actually ship. Lol

Return to “Suspension and Brakes”